Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dance Internship: Tuesday, June 29th - Saturday July 3rd, 2010

Tuesday, June 29th, 2010
Tuesday I also worked on brochures & other projects in the morning/afternoon. That night, I went to a studio that was offering drop-in classes (that means you can pay per class, versus having to buy a package). I took a salsa class! It was fun, but man my abs were so sore from all that twisting. It definitely is a different type of work out if you do salsa versus other types of dance. Definitely very active, and a lot of lateral movement. I enjoyed it!


Wednesday June 30th, 2010
Wednesday was the same deal as Tuesday; I worked on projects during the day, then took a class that night. I took a hip-hop class with my friend Jasmine. It was a blast! It was a karate/kung-fu style dance to "Hi-ya" by Trish. If you youtube it, there are a ton of different choreography videos posted. Very fun! Afterwards, I helped Jazzy move some things into her apartment. It was so good to see her, since it's been almost a year since the last time we hung out. I loved taking the class together!

Thursday July 1st, 2010
Thursday I worked on some items in the morning, then I went in the afternoon to observe Ronya set a commissioned piece on the students. It was really cool how she did this. She used the 85th Psalm, breaking up the verses into sections, and assigning sections to groups of dancers. Then they all joined in on the last few verses, moving only on key words (righteousness, faithfulness, love...).  After that, they all sang Agnus Dei & did movements that they had learned during the classes. It was really cool to see how it all came together! After this, I was able to come to the hospitality dinner. It was so delicious - they had hummus, pita bread, lemon chicken, and an amazing salad. The organization that hosted us was called the Carolina House. They rehabilitate women with eating disorders by exposing them to food in a healthy & consistent way. It was awesome to hear about how this ministry is changing lives, one woman at a time.

Friday July 2nd, 2010
Friday I worked on tying up loose ends during the morning and afternoon.
I had to polish up a few things, then I came on campus mid-afternoon. I went to this awesome coffee shop and got a delicious soy peach smoothie (smoothies are the best on a toasty July day!) I had mexican for dinner with Ronya, then attended the closing service. The Arts Village people presented their commissioned pieces on this night, and everyone hugged and cried during the closing ceremonies. It was pretty awesome to see how tightly these kids bonded together after two short weeks. I'm sure that they came away having learned a lot about their faith. The group performed Ronya's piece, and it was beautiful, especially the way that the music echoed in the huge cathedral. It was definitely awe-inspiring.

Saturday July 3rd, 2010
This was the final day for my internship, and basically I finished making sure everything was as it should be, & well organized on the USB drive that I was planning to turn into my boss at our debrief meeting. We met in the early afternoon, and discussed how everything had gone for the past month. It went really well, and my boss also gave me some beautiful gifts: a journal an embellished wallet (I think it was from world market - it looks mediterranean or indian). The most amazing part was when she prayed for me right before I left. It is really encouraging to have someone who is in ministry (in the area that I want to work in) pray for you! What a blessing!

Saturday night I said goodbye to the family that so graciously hosted me, and went to (my first) minor league baseball game. It was fun! Our team lost though...but they had fireworks afterwards, so I guess that made up for it :)

Adieu,

Lysandra

No comments: