Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summer Dance Internship

 For the next month, I am going to chronicle my dance internship on here! It is such an exciting time for me. I applied for this internship in March of this year, and found out that I had been accepted in May. By the end of May, it was almost time to leave for the big city!

While my hometown isn't huge, it does not in any way compare to the real big city. From the traffic jams to the cultural events, to the stores (shopping! yay!), it is so diverse. This might sound weird, but I actually like driving on the crowded, busy highways, even with the traffic jams. As long as I'm not sitting there for hours on end!

I decided to break the 6-7 hour trip into segments. I drove half way on Sunday night to my grandparents and spent the night there (6/6/10). On Monday morning, I woke up super early (even though I'd gone to bed rather late) because I was so excited to get on the road. When I said good morning to my grandma, told me that they were worried about me driving in such a busy area without a GPS, so they wanted to buy me one!  What a blessing. They completely blessed my socks off with this amazing Garmin-it is so cool- I type in the address, and the GPS tells me what to do-*bam* I'm there! It's awesome.

So I left my grandparent's at about 10am on Monday morning. It took about 2 1/2 hours. I strategically left at a time that would allow me to avoid the morning rush hour- since I did not want to be driving in that traffic right off the bat! Too much stress for me. Had a great drive-didn't stop, so I drove it straight through. When I arrived at my destination (Mrs. Pauline's house, director of the dance ministry), I was early. So I ran to the store, then came back right at 1pm for our meeting.

We got acquainted for a little while, then she gave me some biographies to edit/proofread for the dance program they are sending to print this week.  At about 2pm, we drove downtown to meet up with the graphic designer who is putting the program together. We dropped a packet of info off to her, then headed back to Mrs. Pauline's house. On the way, we stopped in at Wendy's and I had a frosty. It was nice, since it was so toasty outside. :)

We got back to Mrs. Pauline's at around 4pm. I continued working on the biographies, and discussing the audition announcement flyer I would be working on the next day (today). At 5:15pm, I headed to the Chen's home (my host family). They are so cool!  Mrs. Chen is actually Doctor Chen- she is a practicing Dentist. They have a home which serves several different functions: their family home, Dr. Chen's practice, a large room for worship dance/ instrumental worship services or practices (they call it "The Upper Room"), and a small apartment downstairs, which includes a foyer, bedroom, and bathroom (as well as a private entry).

Funny story: As it turned out, I did not know that Mrs. Chen was a dentist until right when arrived on Monday. My appt. was supposed to be June 10th back home, but obviously, I'm gone, so they can't clean my teeth! I don't like that dentist at all anyways...lol. So I asked Mr. Chen if they take my insurance, and they do! So, not only are they hosting me, Dr. Chen will also be my dentist! God sure does have a sense of humor. I remember wondering when I would be able to get my dentist check-up in between summer vacation and leaving for school in August, but having peace that God would provide--And He has! Whoo hoo! :D

Today, I woke up at 6:30am. I had to leave by 9am, so I got up & ready for the day! I had cereal in my mini-kitehen and made a delicious PB sandwich with this amazing all natural peanut butter and whole grain bread. My favorite!

I got on the road by 9:15am, then arrived to Mrs. Pauline's at about 9:45. Traffic is so unpredictable! But I managed to avoid it this time :)

I worked on finishing up the bio editing, e-mailed it off, then began working on trying to copy a dvd...for some reason it wouldn't work for me. Anyways, then I worked on the program insert for the audition announcement (edited a picture, found a cool font, etc).

I had my lunch at around 1, then helped Mrs. Pauline with organizing a deposit she was taking to the bank. I made a detailed spreadsheet for monies collected, and verified the amounts received. I left her home at about 2:35, and made it to the Chen's house by 3:10. So, a 35 minute commute. Not too bad this time. I took a nap when I got to my little apartment. Now it's a little bit of chill time. I'm planning to make myself delicious soft tacos tonight for dinner, and I need to practice my solo for the recital this Saturday (I'll get to use the Upper Room space! It's perfect for that). So that's my agenda for the rest of today!

Until next time,
Lysandra <3

No comments: